15.12.07

Saba - The Unspoiled Queen


No, silly, "Saba -The Unspoiled Queen" is not my nickname, but what the world calls the Caribbean island of Saba, which is part of the Dutch Windward Islands. I bet most of you didn't know that it existed and/or that my family even owned an island!...LOL. I was aware of its existence even as a child, and I told myself that I would one day get to explore it. When I chose Saint Martin/Sint Maarten of all the Caribbean islands to spend our beach vacation, I suddenly was more excited when I realized that Saba is located only 28 miles south of S. M.. I knew I didn't want to spend the money to fly over there just for a day trip, so I waited until we got to our hotel to arrange the ferry service. During the entire time we were in St. Martin., the waters in between both islands where considered too choppy for the ferry service to operate, thus all boat rides were cancelled. We immediately decided then to fly using Winair. To my dismay, the airline informed me that they could fly me there, but, unfortunately, all return flights had been sold out until Sunday. "Grrr+_)(*&^%$#@! to be so close, yet so far!" When Bill read the disappointment written all over my face, he asked the concierge to see if they could find an alternative way of getting there, even if it meant going all by myself. They came back shortly with, "Well, Mr. Saba, we can get you a private yacht to take you to your island for only 1300.00 Euros". After I picked myself up off the floor, I politely declined. LOL
Oh well, I guess I can now sing with full emotion, "I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me...
".

For more information on Saba Island, please click here and here.

No comments: